Friday, April 23, 2010

Peace Be

Poems for Peace in Kenya

By Maurine Otor

A Call for Peace

You never know what peace is really worth until you experience its disruption. This is what we are experiencing here in our beloved Kenya, which since independence was undoubtedly peaceful. This now lurks in the shadows of subsequent endorsement of power on a man a good number of Kenyan voices deem not as their present president.

Despite all these killings, lootings, destruction of properties and even crude circumcision. I still can’t but hold my breath and admire the civic Education impact on my brothers and sisters. I can undoubtedly say without mass contradiction that, democracy is becoming a civilian issue, other than the traditional thing that has always ripped us of our rights and we only sat behind quietly or at least, only afforded hushed whispers lest we be heard by the long ears of the authorities.

We cannot forget the immediate post colonial era when most patriots had to exile due to diverse reasons which were mostly political. If we misunderstood them or basically did not understand why, we are now old enough to hear, see and judge for ourselves what their position must have been back then.

It is peace these hearts were yearning for I suppose. The same peace we badly need right now. No powers should rip us of this whatsoever. We should all know that no matter our grounds of disagreement, it is the common Mwananchi that suffers and has his heart wounded. Let us all pray for peace.

Peace My Brother

From fear my heart wants to explode,

Just for politics my peace is erode,

Those we ate, talked and public rode,

We’ve gone against,

Or, against us gone,

Oh, peace, peace we enjoyed,

Peace to other us took,

Noble as we thought us,

Knew not, sure, knew not,

We’d forget ourselves,

Forget our brotherhood,

And, as if nothing,

Become stereotypes,

Political gadgets,

That maim, torch, loot

and, ooh, this me you see,

Is dead at three,

When night beckons,

And I doubt I’ll see day,

Violence has robbed us,

With my heart fearful,

Of the sights I’ve seen,

And warnings I’ve heard,

Horror movies bring nightmares,

This has brought life-mares,

Oh peace my brother,

Peace my sister,

Peace my parents,

Peace my child

* * * * *

Peace My Country

My beloved nation,

Your abundance of peace,

Surpassed all,

Now,

Emptiness and despair,

Stare me on end,

You know what

Dear land?

I cry, I mourn,

For burns and bruises,

Defacing your beauty,

I long for the glittered eyes,

That kept me on against odds,

Beautiful brotherly smile,

That shun not my tongue,

Big crystal heart

That taught unconditional love,

To come take this ghost

That in me breed hate and disgust,

Then shall I, have peace,

Then shall I, speak peace,

Peace everlasting,

Peace for my nation

* * * * *

Peace My Child

In your weakness dear child,

I can’t get to ignore,

That though all innocence,

Your subconscious, uncertainty looms,

Of happenings you cannot understand,

And if you can, just but vague,

This politically tribal atrocity,

Pains my heart

Even unto despair,

Of the seed planted,

That without joining hands,

Never will be uprooted,

The seed of prejudice and hate

Where anger knows no boundaries

That it trespasses a little baby’s innocent

The value of tomorrow

The purity of God’s sacred ground

Baby, you must love

You must cherish life,

You must nurture peace

And let it grow

Coz mommy loves peace

* * * * *

Maurine Akinyi Otor, born in 1982 from a family of nine, lives in Jera sublocation in the Nyanza province of Kenya. She studied at Sega Girls primary School then Lwak Girls High School after which she proceeded to the Kenya Polytechnic for a diploma course in Personnel Management. She is a small-scale entrepreneur with a basic interest in creative writing, which she began as a teenager. She has written several articles yet to be published. When not writing she spends time researching. As far as her social life, she interacts with different personalities who have made it so that she can learn and be mentored through their experiences. She wants to use her management skills to run a publishing house.

Check out also, Maurine Otor's Kenya Dear

* * * * *




No comments:

Post a Comment